Wintergreen Gorge Cemetery is located in Harborcreek Township, east of Belle Valley on Norcross Road. The cemetery borders Wintergreen Gorge, a 250-foot-wide ravine for which the cemetery was named. The “Wintergreen” name comes from the aromatic, low-growing evergreen shrub once abundant in the area.
Wintergreen’s grounds are meticulously kept, providing a counterpoint to the area’s wilder natural beauty.
Visitors to Wintergreen enjoy the open atmosphere of the cemetery, bordered by a farm on one side, and the sharp drop into the gorge on the other. The gazebo on the grounds is a popular spot for photos and even the occasional wedding service.
The chapel was built in 1933 by Ernst Behrend, one of the founders of Hammermill Paper, and his wife, Mary, and dedicated in memory of their son. The chapel is situated across the gorge from land that was the Behrend’s farm. Not long after Ernst's death, Mary gifted to Penn State the 400 acres of her farm, which became the Behrend College campus. Each year, Behrend honors Mary Behrend with a special candle-lit “Hanging of the Greens” ceremony in December. This beautiful, peaceful chapel is also used for cemetery services and other events.
Wintergreen Gorge Cemetery offers a full array of burial and inurnment options, from monument lots to cremation niches, and a peaceful cremation garden.
Location and Phone2601 Norcross Rd., Erie, PA 16510
J. Clarke Kuebler — General Manager
Rachel Ristau — Customer Service
George Kunselman — Grounds Supervisor